Youtube vs TV

Youtube TV?

Today I was watching a Mexican soup opera on youtube, it was great because I didn’t have to see any commercial and I was able to pause it. Later, I started wondering about how many people was doing the same, some questions started to appear in my mind; Is youtube the “new television”?, How many people has started to watch more online videos than TV?, What will happen with advertising on TV programs? …

I started to search information and a survey made by Nielsen showed that people of all ages said they spent much more time watching traditional TV than online videos. A young group (18 to 24 years old) was the group that accepted to watch more online videos. According to LiveRail 2008 survey, the 53% of young adults social network users spend more time watching online video than TV.

Even though that the percentage of the population that watches more online video than traditional TV isn’t big enough to “destroy” the TV, marketers should be aware of this and pay attention to the media that their prospects use to see their favorite shows. If their target market are young adults, maybe they should start to give more money to online advertising when they allocate their budgets. While they start to do something, people like me keep watching “tv” without receiving any advertising (:
Juan Francisco

0 comments: